Friday, May 1, 2009

Parklands: North America’s Crown Jewels

Okay so I am thinking of entering three of my pictures into a photo competition and need to make a decision as to which three. I figured I would turn to my friends for help choosing. Let me know which ones are your favorites by leaving me a comment. Also, check out the Filoli post on my blog which has some potential contestants in it and please check back as I may add some other potential entries as I continue to take photos this month (contest entries due at the end of May).


EXHIBITION OVERVIEW

The Theme: Parklands, North America's Crown Jewels

Some of the finest places to visit and appreciate in Canada, Mexico, and the USA are located in our park

systems. There we discover plants, animals, waterfalls, canyons, forests, deserts, rock formations, historic

features, snowy peaks, reflecting lakes – the list is almost infinite. This exhibit is a celebration of treasures on

lands that are owned by the public, and are therefore accessible to all. Your subjects can be any aspect of the

park systems: national, state or county. Besides the usual icons, we welcome the subtle and hidden locations

that reveal something special and capture the appeal of the place.

The Parklands Exhibit will consist of the 30 entries juried to be exceptional, finely crafted photographs that

reflect the theme.



Photo 1


Photo 2

Photo 3

Photo 4

Photo 5

Photo 6 (okay so this one is actually Lisa's and I am thinking of entering it for her)

Photo 7

Photo 8



Photo 9


Photo 10


Photo 11

2 comments:

  1. Oh, my, but you might regret asking! I love all the photos. You've really got it, ma'am. But you asked for comments, so here they are.
    Photo 1: an absolute classic. This picture is textbook. You've got the rule of thirds horizontally and vertically, and yet the subject is still dead center! Amazing. The tree on the left leans into the clouds that rise like a volcanic plume from the mountain. Wonderful.
    Photo 2: To me, this is much less powerful. Same image, less power. It's still beautiful, but it lacks the structural drama of photo 1.
    Photo 3: again, a classic example of rule of 3ds... with cranes! This is really cool. The unexpected pattern of birds matches the unexpected pattern of the hills behind. The grounded birds beneath add even more to the drama above. The drama of the sky resonates. This is truly a stunning photo. I would pick it over 1, despite how great 1 is.
    Photo 4: This one works so well because the eye can never quite rest. The star is just plain moving. It is compelling and beautiful, and the background makes it more so. This picture grows on me, and therein lies my only concern. At first glance, the power of this picture might not be noticed. It is wonderful, though.
    Photo 5: Sunsets are notoriously difficult, and you have done a great job. The colors are amazing, and the composition is great. My quibble is with the ground, which is too dark--not much you can do about that!
    Photo 6 (Lisa's): I really like this image and this is the first one I blew up to see better. By all means enter it for Lisa. For me this one is best contracted with the starfish. In the starfish picture, the eye cannot settle because the photo itself keeps the eye on the move. With this picture, the eye does not quite know where to alight. The tonal range is wonderful.
    Photo 7: The hibiscus is gorgeous but I do not quite see what the photograph itself brings to it.
    Photo 8: another classic. The sense of playfulness and discovery is delightful, and the composition and the background are stellar.
    Photo 9: you've done it again. This is a great example of how breaking the rule of 3ds can lead to great results. The egret's head can only be in the center of this image. I love how the image is balanced by the fronds on the left and the egret's body on the right. Being directly above the head is a coup.
    Photo 10: This is a beautiful image but again I just can't find my way into it. There is a sort of swirling vortex that I appreciate, but it is not compelling the way the others are for me.
    Photo 11: You really have a knack for composition, and this is beautiful. The path is a clear way in for the eye. But I vote for color.
    So, my favorites are 3, 4, 8 and 9. In terms of strategy, I think 4 might be the weakest, because it took me the longest to fully appreciate. So my votes are for 3, 8 and 9. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete